In 2011 The Perimeter Security Suppliers Association (PSSA) introduced a verification scheme to provide confidence to perimeter systems buyers and others that products supplied by its members conform to internationally recognised quality standards, providing assurance that:
- products are fit for purpose – designed to meet customer, market and regulatory requirements
- products are consistently manufactured and supplied conforming to their agreed specification
- products when in use produce the intended performance outcomes specified by the customer
Following a rigorous process of evaluation of both a supplier’s management system and verification of the product, authority to use the PSSA Verification Mark is given and the product publically listed.
Objectives of the scheme
- To provide product and installer selection assistance for customers via an independently verified set of criteria on which to judge a product
- To provide distinction from suppliers and products not able to meet PSSA’s rigorous standards
- Clear, transparent evidence that suppliers claims of compliance and testing are correct and not misrepresentations
- Alignment with and support for national security strategy
Product verification is based on the satisfactory verification of objective evidence demonstrating that the supplier has:
- met the standards demanded for PSSA membership
- an effective management system, certified by a UKAS accredited certification body, conforming with the requirements of ISO 9001: 2008
- qualifying products that have undergone satisfactory testing by a testing laboratory accredited to ISO 17025: 2005
Evidence is assessed and evaluated by an independent UKAS accredited certification body to verify that the product(s) and/or services concerned meet the above requirements.
Following positive recommendation by the PSSA’s nominated independent certification body, the PSSA Verification Mark is awarded to the applicant company and the product/service concerned is listed in the PSSA Verified Products and Services Listings.
Current scheme situation
In the 5 years of its existence the PSSA Verification Scheme has expanded beyond its initial remit of Hostile Vehicle Mitigation products. It now includes Security Fences and Specialist Perimeter Protection Installation Companies and is considering other areas such as Perimeter Intruder Detection Systems (PIDS). The Council of the PSSA felt that 5 years of initial existence was an appropriate time to review all aspects of the Verification Scheme and to that end a review involving all stakeholders in the project is now underway. The intention of that review is to make improvements to the scheme based on what has been learned in the first five years, both for participants and the end market, whilst at the same time ensuring it is suitable for a much wider category of external perimeter protection products and services than it was originally established to serve.
Whilst this review is underway there will be a temporary suspension to the acceptance of new applicants as the PSSA Council felt it would be unfair to ask organisations to go through a process which may well be changing in the near future.
Once the review is complete and decisions about the future format of the Verification Scheme have been taken then the Scheme will be reopened to new applicants.
Listed below are the current products and services that have passed the PSSA Verification Scheme