In March 2016 PSSA members voted to amend both the membership categories and the membership criteria. There are now just 2 main categories of membership as follows:-
1. Full member – a manufacturer or installer (or both) or test house of high security perimeter protection products that can meet the full member membership criteria.
2. Associate member – organisations who have legitimate interest in the high security perimeter protection market sector and who are manufacturers or installers that currently do not altogether meet the requirements for full membership. Associate Membership is also available for other organisations who are neither manufacturers nor installers but still have legitimate interest in external perimeter protection (e.g. security consultants, relevant government departments, utility companies).
Base case criteria to become a PSSA full member
- Average or higher Experian (or equivalent) business credit risk rating (see notes at end of this section)
- Minimum 3 years trading history & accounts.
- ISO 9001 accreditation
- Documented health and safety policy plus evidence of a retained qualified health and safety professional (either as an employee or external retained advisor).
- Agreement to place PSSA logo on the member’s website with a standardised explanation of the Aims and Objectives of the PSSA
- Documented environmental policy.
Additional base criteria for multi product installer full members
These are specialist installation/project management companies that are not solely installers of their own brand product but are in fact specialist perimeter security project management organisations.
- Proof of being on the formal relevant approved supplier list of at least 2 separate government departments or utility companies or Major Contractors with PLC status. This can be approval directly by the organisations themselves or via Achilles or Building Confidence or Constructionline certification, or similar.
- Evidence of a Health & Safety accreditation to any scheme included in the current list of
SSIP approved schemes (Safety Schemes in Procurement),for example, CHAS.
- Open to any organisation that can demonstrate legitimate interest in the external perimeter protection marketplace.
Additional membership criteria applicable to all membership categories
- Members shall agree to uphold and support the aims and objectives of the PSSA and to act ethically at all times.
- Agreement to PSSA Code of Professional Practice & Ethics.
- Agreement to abide by the Bye Laws and the Memorandum and Articles.
- Proof of insurances to cover all potential liabilities arising from company products, conduct, errors and omissions.
- Applicants should agree to promptly pay all Membership Subscriptions or other charges for services provided by the Association.
- In the event of any dispute regarding membership qualification, rights, and obligations the Council shall adjudicate or refer the matter for independent review.
- The vast majority of existing PSSA members already meet the new full membership criteria. For those that don’t then the requirement to fully meet the full membership criteria will be deferred for 1 year i.e. until the start of the 2018/19 membership year.
- It is accepted that a worse than average business credit risk rating can occur from time to time without necessarily meaning that a business is financially unstable. Therefore in the event that a satisfactory credit risk rating cannot be provided at any membership renewal point then membership can be continued so long as the member company can demonstrate reasonable financial stability to the satisfaction of the PSSA’s confidential membership administration. All commercially sensitive information is kept confidential to the PSSA Secretariat and will not be disclosed to any third party without prior approval.